Are you using Kryo or Java serialization? I found this post useful:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23962796/kryo-readobject-cause-nullpointerexception-with-arraylist

If using kryo, you need to register the classes with kryo, something like
this:

    sc.registerKryoClasses(Array(
        classOf[ConfigurationProperty],
       classOf[Event]
    ))

Or create a registrator something like this:

class ODSKryoRegistrator extends KryoRegistrator {
  override def registerClasses(kryo: Kryo) {
    kryo.register(classOf[ConfigurationProperty], new
AvroSerializer[ConfigurationProperty]())
    kryo.register(classOf[Event], new AvroSerializer[Event]()))
  }

I encountered a similar error since several of the Avor core classes are
not marked Serializable.

HTH.

Todd