Hi Ankur,

This is a great question as I've heard similar concerns about Spark on
Mesos.

At the time when I started to contribute to Spark on Mesos approx half year
ago, the Mesos scheduler and related code hasn't really got much attention
from anyone and it was pretty much in maintenance mode.

As a Mesos PMC that is really interested in Spark I started to refactor and
check out different JIRAs and PRs around the Mesos scheduler, and after
that started to fix various bugs in Spark, added documentation and also in
fix related Mesos issues as well.

Just recently for 1.4 we've merged in Cluster mode and Docker support, and
there are also pending PRs around framework authentication, multi-role
support, dynamic allocation, more finer tuned coarse grain mode scheduling
configurations, etc.

And finally just want to mention that Mesosphere and Typesafe is
collaborating to bring a certified distribution (
https://databricks.com/spark/certification/certified-spark-distribution) of
Spark on Mesos and DCOS, and we will be pouring resources into not just
maintain Spark on Mesos but drive more features into the Mesos scheduler
and also in Mesos so stateful services can leverage new APIs and features
to make better scheduling decisions and optimizations.

I don't have a solidified roadmap to share yet, but we will be discussing
this and hopefully can share with the community soon.

In summary Spark on Mesos is not dead or in maintenance mode, and look
forward to see a lot more changes from us and the community.

Tim