Thanks Cheng, that's brilliant, you've saved me a headache.

Ewan

From: Cheng Lian [mailto:lian.cs....@gmail.com]
Sent: 19 May 2015 11:58
To: Ewan Leith; user@spark.apache.org
Subject: Re: AvroParquetWriter equivalent in Spark 1.3 sqlContext Save or
createDataFrame Interfaces?

That's right. Also, Spark SQL can automatically infer schema from JSON
datasets. You don't need to specify an Avro schema:

   sqlContext.jsonFile("json/path").saveAsParquetFile("parquet/path")

or with the new reader/writer API introduced in 1.4-SNAPSHOT:

   sqlContext.read.json("json/path").write.parquet("parquet/path")

Cheng