You need to convert DataFrame to RDD, call sampleByKey, and then apply
the schema back to create DataFrame.

val df: DataFrame = ...
val schema = df.schema
val sampledRDD = df.rdd.keyBy(r => r.getAs[Int](0)).sampleByKey(...).values
val sampled = sqlContext.createDataFrame(sampledRDD, schema)

Hopefully this would be much easier in 1.5.

Best,
Xiangrui