I don't think that's quite the difference. Any SQL  engine has a query
planner and an execution engine. Both of these Spark for execution. HoS
uses Hive for query planning. Although it's not optimized for execution on
Spark per se, it's got a lot of language support and is stable/mature.
Spark SQL's query planner is less developed at this point but purpose-built
for Spark as an execution engine. Spark SQL is also how you put SQL-like
operations in a Spark program -- programmatic SQL if you will -- which
isn't what Hive or therefore HoS does. HoS is good if you're already using
Hive and need its language features and need it as it works today, and want
a faster batch execution version of it.