Hi Xin,

If you take a look at the model you trained, the intercept from Spark
is significantly smaller than StatsModel, and the intercept represents
a prior on categories in LOR which causes the low accuracy in Spark
implementation. In LogisticRegressionWithLBFGS, the intercept is
regularized due to the implementation of Updater, and the intercept
should not be regularized.

In the new pipleline APIs, a LOR with elasticNet is implemented, and
the intercept is properly handled.
https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/mllib/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/ml/classification/LogisticRegression.scala

As you can see the tests,
https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/mllib/src/test/scala/org/apache/spark/ml/classification/LogisticRegressionSuite.scala
the result is exactly the same as R now.

BTW, in both version, the feature scalings are done before training,
and we train the model in scaled space but transform the model weights
back to original space. The only difference is in the mllib version,
LogisticRegressionWithLBFGS regularizes the intercept while in the ml
version, the intercept is excluded from regularization. As a result,
if lambda is zero, the model should be the same.