In the receiver-less "direct" approach, there is no concept of consumer
group as we dont use the Kafka High Level consumer (that uses ZK). Instead
Spark Streaming manages offsets on its own, giving tighter guarantees. If
you want to monitor the progress of the processing of offsets, you will
have to update ZK yourself. With the code snippet you posted, you can get
the range of offsets that were processed in each batch, and accordingly
update Zookeeper using some consumer group name of your choice.

TD