I think when you do a ssc.stop it will stop your entire application and by
"update a transformation function" you mean modifying the driver program?
In that case even if you checkpoint your application, it won't be able to
recover from its previous state.

A simpler approach would be to add certain conditions inside your
transformation function and switch them accordingly instead of modifying
the transformation.

Thanks
Best Regards