Would it be possible to implement Spark autoscaling somewhat along these
lines? --

1. If we sense that a new machine is needed, by watching the data load in
Kafka topic(s), then
2. Provision a new machine via a Provisioner interface (e.g. talk to AWS
and get a machine);
3. Create a "shadow"/mirror Spark master running alongside the initial
version which talks to N machines. The new mirror version is aware of N+1
machines (or N+M if we had decided we needed M new boxes).
4. The previous version of the Spark runtime is acquiesced/decommissioned.
We possibly get both clusters working on the same data which may actually
be OK (at least for our specific use-cases).
5. Now the new Spark cluster is running.

Similarly, the decommissioning of M unused boxes would happen, via this
notion of a mirror Spark runtime.  How feasible would it be for such a
mirrorlike setup to be created, especially created programmatically?
Especially point #3.

The other idea we'd entertained was to bring in a new machine, acquiesce
down all currently running workers by telling them to process their current
batch then shut down, then restart the consumers now that Spark is aware of
a modified cluster.  This has the drawback of a downtime that may not be
tolerable in terms of latency, by the system's clients waiting for their

Thanks.