Is your cassandra installation actually listening on 9160?

lsof -i :9160COMMAND   PID     USER   FD   TYPE   DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
java    29232 ykadiysk   69u  IPv4 42152497      0t0  TCP
localhost:9160 (LISTEN)

​
I am running an out-of-the box cassandra conf where

rpc_address: localhost
# port for Thrift to listen for clients on
rpc_port: 9160