+cc user@spark.apache.org

Reply inline.

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 2:31 PM, Dhar Sauptik (CR/RTC1.3-NA)
<Sauptik.Dhar> wrote:
> Hi DB,
>
> Thank you for the reply. That explains a lot.
>
> I however had a few points regarding this:-
>
> 1. Just to help with the debate of not regularizing the b parameter. A
> standard implementation argues against regularizing the b parameter. See Pg
> 64 para 1 :  http://statweb.stanford.edu/~tibs/ElemStatLearn/

Agreed. We just worry about it will change behavior, but we actually
have a PR to change the behavior to standard one,
https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/6386

> 2. Further, is the regularization of b also applicable for the SGD
> implementation. Currently the SGD vs. BFGS implementations give different
> results (and both the implementations don't match the IRLS algorithm). Are
> the SGD/BFGS implemented for different loss functions? Can you please share
> your thoughts on this.

In SGD implementation, we don't "standardize" the dataset before
training. As a result, those columns with low standard deviation will
be penalized more, and those with high standard deviation will be
penalized less. Also, "standardize" will help the rate of convergence.
As a result, in most of package, they "standardize" the data
implicitly, and get the weights in the "standardized" space, and
transform back to original space so it's transparent for users.

1) LORWithSGD: No standardization, and penalize the intercept.
2) LORWithLBFGS: With standardization but penalize the intercept.
3) New LOR implementation: With standardization without penalizing the
intercept.

As a result, only the new implementation in Spark ML handles
everything correctly. We have tests to verify that the results match
R.

> @Naveen: Please feel free to add/comment on the above points as you see
> necessary.
>
> Thanks,