Hi Wei,

I don't think ML is meant for single node computation, and the
algorithms in ML are designed for pipeline framework.

In short, the lasso regression in ML is new algorithm implemented from
scratch, and it's faster, and converged to the same solution as R's
glmnet but with scalability. Here is the talk I gave in Spark summit
about the new elastic-net feature in ML. I will encourage you to try
the one ML.

http://www.slideshare.net/dbtsai/2015-06-largescale-lasso-and-elasticnet-regularized-generalized-linear-models-at-spark-summit

Sincerely,

DB Tsai