I am trying to setup a Spark standalone cluster following the official
documentation.

My master is on a local vm running ubuntu and I also have one worker running
in the same machine. It is connecting and I am able to see its status in the
WebUI of the master.

But when I try to connect a slave from another machine, I am not able to do
it.

This is the log message I get in the worker when I start from another
machine. I have tried using start-slaves.sh from the master after updating
conf\slaves and also start-slave.sh spark://spark:7077 from the slave -

15/07/01 11:54:16 WARN ReliableDeliverySupervisor: Association with remote
system [akka.tcp://sparkMaster@spark:7077] has failed, address is now gated
for [5000] ms. Reason is: [Association failed with
[akka.tcp://sparkMaster@spark:7077]].
15/07/01 11:54:59 ERROR Worker: All masters are unresponsive! Giving up.
15/07/01 11:54:59 INFO Utils: Shutdown hook called

When I try to telnet from the slave to the master, this is what I get -
root@worker:~# telnet spark 7077
Trying 10.xx.xx.xx...
Connected to spark.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

Telnet seems to work but the connection is closed as soon as it is
established. Could this have something to do with the problem ?

I have added the master and slave IP addresses in /etc/hosts on both
machines.
I have the following config set in spark-env.sh in both machines -

export SPARK_MASTER_IP=spark
export SPARK_WORKER_PORT=44444

I am not able to find out the reason for the slave not getting connected. Is
there some configuration that I am missing ?

Thanks.