Within the context of your question, Spark SQL utilizing the Hive context
is primarily about very fast queries.  If you want to use real-time
queries, I would utilize Spark Streaming.  A couple of great resources on
this topic include Guest Lecture on Spark Streaming in Stanford CME 323:
Distributed Algorithms and Optimization
<http://www.slideshare.net/tathadas/guest-lecture-on-spark-streaming-in-standford>
and Recipes for Running Spark Streaming Applications in Production
<https://spark-summit.org/2015/events/recipes-for-running-spark-streaming-applications-in-production/>
(from the recent Spark Summit 2015)

HTH!