When you enable checkpointing by setting the checkpoint directory, you
enable metadata checkpointing. Data checkpointing kicks in only if you are
using a DStream operation that requires it, or you are enabling Write Ahead
Logs to prevent data loss on driver failure.

More discussion -
https://spark-summit.org/2015/events/recipes-for-running-spark-streaming-applications-in-production/