We have a complex application that runs productively for couple of months and heavily uses spark in scala.

Just to give you some insight on complexity - we do not have such a huge source data (only about 500'000 complex elements), but we have more than a billion transformations and intermediate data elements we do with our machine learning algorithms. Our current spark/mesos cluster consists of 120 CPUs, 190 GB RAM and plenty of HDD space.

Now regarding your question:

- scala is just a beautiful language itself, it has nothing to do with spark;

- spark api fits very naturally into scala semantics because of the map/reduce transformations are written more or less identicaly for local collections and RDDs;

- as with any religious topic, there is controverse discussion on what language is better and most of the times (I have read quite a lot of blog/forum topics on this) argumentation is based on what religion one belongs to (e.g. Java vs Scala vs Python)

- we have checked supposed performance issues and limitations of scala described here: (http://www.infoq.com/news/2011/11/yammer-scala) by re-factoring to "best practices" described in the article and have observed both performance increase in some places and, at the same time, performance decrease in other places. Thus I would say there is no noticeable performance difference between scala vs java in our use case (of course there are and always will be applications where one or other language performs better);

hope I could help
reinis