Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 15:35:29 -0700
Subject: Re: The auxService:spark_shuffle does not exist
From: and...@databricks.com
To: alee...@hotmail.com
CC: zjf...@gmail.com; rp...@njit.edu; user@spark.apache.org

Hi all,
Did you forget to restart the node managers after editing yarn-site.xml by any
chance?
-Andrew

I have encountered the same problem after following the document.
Here's my spark-defaults.confspark.shuffle.service.enabled true
spark.dynamicAllocation.enabled      true
spark.dynamicAllocation.executorIdleTimeout 60
spark.dynamicAllocation.cachedExecutorIdleTimeout 120
spark.dynamicAllocation.initialExecutors 2
spark.dynamicAllocation.maxExecutors 8
spark.dynamicAllocation.minExecutors 1
spark.dynamicAllocation.schedulerBacklogTimeout 10

and yarn-site.xml configured.
        <property>
            <name>yarn.nodemanager.aux-services</name>
            <value>spark_shuffle,mapreduce_shuffle</value>
        </property>
        <property>
            <name>yarn.nodemanager.aux-services.spark_shuffle.class</name>
            <value>org.apache.spark.network.yarn.YarnShuffleService</value>
        </property>
and deployed the 2 JARs to NodeManager's classpath
/opt/hadoop/share/hadoop/mapreduce/. (I also checked the NodeManager log and
the JARs appear in the classpath). I notice that the JAR location is not the
same as the document in 1.4. I found them under network/yarn/target and
network/shuffle/target/ after building it with "-Phadoop-2.4 -Psparkr -Pyarn
-Phive -Phive-thriftserver" in maven.

spark-network-yarn_2.10-1.4.1.jar
spark-network-shuffle_2.10-1.4.1.jar

and still getting the following exception.
Exception in thread "ContainerLauncher #0" java.lang.Error:
org.apache.spark.SparkException: Exception while starting container
container_1437141440985_0003_01_000002 on host alee-ci-2058-slave-2.test.foo.com
        at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1151)
        at
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)
Caused by: org.apache.spark.SparkException: Exception while starting container
container_1437141440985_0003_01_000002 on host alee-ci-2058-slave-2.test.foo.com
        at
org.apache.spark.deploy.yarn.ExecutorRunnable.startContainer(ExecutorRunnable.scala:116)
        at
org.apache.spark.deploy.yarn.ExecutorRunnable.run(ExecutorRunnable.scala:67)
        at
        ... 2 more
Caused by: org.apache.hadoop.yarn.exceptions.InvalidAuxServiceException: The
auxService:spark_shuffle does not exist
        at
sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:57)
        at
        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:526)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.api.records.impl.pb.SerializedExceptionPBImpl.instantiateException(SerializedExceptionPBImpl.java:152)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.api.records.impl.pb.SerializedExceptionPBImpl.deSerialize(SerializedExceptionPBImpl.java:106)
Not sure what else am I missing here or doing wrong?
Appreciate any insights or feedback, thanks.