Da: Ruslan Dautkhanov<mailto:dautkha...@gmail.com>
Inviato: ‎29/‎07/‎2015 06:18
A: renga.kannan<mailto:renga.kan...@gmail.com>
Cc: user<mailto:user@spark.apache.org>
Oggetto: Re: Is SPARK is the right choice for traditional OLAP query processing?

>> We want these use actions respond within 2 to 5 seconds.

I think this goal is a stretch for Spark. Some queries may run faster than that
on a large dataset,
but in general you can't put an SLA like this. For example if you have to join
some huge datasets,
you'll likely will be much over that. Spark is great for huge jobs and it'll be
much faster than MR.
I don't think Spark was designed with interactive queries in mind. For example,
although Spark is
"in-memory", its in-memory is only for a job. It's not like in traditional
RDBMS systems where you
have a persistent "buffer cache" or "in-memory columnar storage" (both are
Oracle terms)
If you have multiple users running interatactive BI queries, results that were
cached for first user
wouldn't be used by second user. Unless you invent something that would keep a
persistent
Spark context and serve users' requests and decided which RDDs to cache, when
and how.
At least that's my understanding how Spark works. If I'm wrong, I will be glad
to hear that as
we ran into the same questions.

As we use Cloudera's CDH, I'm not sure where Hortonworks are with their Tez
project,
but Tez has components that resemble closer to "buffer cache" or "in-memory
columnar storage" caching
from traditional RDBMS systems, and may get better and/or more predictable
performance on
BI queries.

--
Ruslan Dautkhanov

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 6:04 PM, renga.kannan