In case anyone runs into this issue in the future, we got it working: the
following variable must be set on the edge node:

export
PYSPARK_PYTHON=/your/path/to/whatever/python/you/want/to/run/bin/python

I didn't realize that variable gets passed to every worker node.  All I saw
when searching for this issue was documentation for an older version of
Spark which mentions using SPARK_YARN_USER_ENV to set PYSPARK_PYTHON within
spark-env.sh, which didn't work for us on Spark 1.3.