I think you are mixing the notion of job from hadoop map reduce world with
spark. In spark, RDDs are immutable and transformations are lazy. So the
first time rdd is actually fills up memory is when you run first
transformation. After that, it stays up in memory until either application
is stopped or new rdd s are generated causing old rdd to get pushed out to
disk.
Remember spark does not provide fault tolerance through replication but
through lineage. So it is important to keep old rdds around in case of any
failure downstream transformations

--
Best Regards,
Ayan Guha