Ok, I went in the direction of system vars since beginning probably because
the question was to pass variables to a particular job.

Anyway, the decision to use either system vars or environment vars would
solely depend on whether you want to make them available to all the spark
processes on a node or to a particular job.

Are there any other reasons why one would prefer one over the other?