we are using hive1.1 .

I was able to fix below error when I used right version spark

15/08/26 17:51:12 WARN avro.AvroSerdeUtils: Encountered AvroSerdeException
determining schema. Returning signal schema to indicate problem
org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.avro.AvroSerdeException: Neither
avro.schema.literal nor avro.schema.url specified, can't determine table
schema
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.avro.AvroSerdeUtils.
determineSchemaOrThrowException(AvroSerdeUtils.java:68)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.avro.AvroSerdeUtils.
determineSchemaOrReturnErrorSchema(AvroSerdeUtils.java:93)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.avro.AvroSerDe.initialize(AvroSerDe.java:60)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.MetaStoreUtils.getDeserializer(
MetaStoreUtils.java:375)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Partition.getDeserializer(Partition.
java:249)

But I still see this error when querying on some hive avro tables.

15/08/26 17:51:27 WARN scheduler.TaskSetManager: Lost task 30.0 in stage
0.0 (TID 14, dtord01hdw0227p.dc.dotomi.net):
org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.avro.BadSchemaException

        at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.avro.AvroSerDe.deserialize(AvroSerDe.java:91)

        at
org.apache.spark.sql.hive.HadoopTableReader$$anonfun$fillObject$1.apply(TableReader.scala:321)

       at
org.apache.spark.sql.hive.HadoopTableReader$$anonfun$fillObject$1.apply(TableReader.scala:320)

I haven't tried spark-avro. We are using Sqlcontext to run queries in our
application

Any idea if this issue might be coz of querying across different schema
version of data ?

Thanks
Giri