On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 5:15 PM, Matei Zaharia <matei.zaha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Even simple Spark-on-YARN should run as the user that submitted the job,
> yes, so HDFS ACLs should be enforced. Not sure how it plays with the rest of
> Ranger.

It's slightly more complicated than that (without kerberos, the
underlying process runs as the same user running the YARN daemons, but
the connections to HDFS and other Hadoop services identify as the user
who submitted the application), but the end effect is what Matei
describes. I also do not know about how Ranger enforces things.

Also note that "simple authentication" is not secure at all. You're
basically just asking your users to be nice instead of actually
enforcing anything. Any user can tell YARN that he's actually someone
else when starting the application, and YARN will believe him. Just
say "HADOOP_USER_NAME=somebodyelse" and you're good to go!

--
Marcelo