Thans, Igor; I've got it running again right now, and can attach the stack
trace when it finishes.

In the mean time, I've noticed something interesting: in the Spark UI, the
application jar that I submit is not being included on the classpath.  It
has been successfully uploaded to the nodes -- in the nodemanager directory
for the application, I see __app__.jar and __spark__.jar.  The directory
itself is on the classpath, and __spark__.jar and __hadoop_conf__ are as
well.  When I do everything the same but switch the master to local[*], the
jar I submit IS added to the classpath.

This seems like a likely culprit.  What could cause this, and how can I fix
it?

Best,
Nick