1) yes, just use .repartition on the inbound stream, this will shuffle data
across your whole cluster and process in parallel as specified.
2) yes, although I’m not sure how to do it for a totally custom receiver. Does
this help as a starting point?
http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/streaming-programming-guide.html#level-of-parallelism-in-data-receiving