I set those configurations by passing to spark-submit script:
"bin/spark-submit --conf spark.ui.retainedJobs=20 ...". I have verified
that these configurations are being passed correctly because they are
listed in the environments tab and also by counting the number of
job/stages that are listed. The "spark.sql.ui.retainedExecutions=0" only
applies to the number of "completed" executions; there will always be a
"running" execution. For some reason, I have one execution that consumes an
excessive amount of memory.

Actually, I am not interested in the SQL UI, as I find the Job/Stages UI to
have sufficient information. I am also using Spark Standalone cluster
manager so have not had to use the history server.