One of my co-worker(Yogesh) was trying to get this posted in spark mailing and
it seems it did not get posted. So I am reposting it here. Please help.

Hi,

I am new to Spark and was trying to do some experiments with it.

I had a JavaPairDStream<String, List<String>> RDD.

I want to get the list of string from its previous state. For that I use
updateStateByKey function as follows:

final Function2<List<String>, Optional<List<String>>, Optional<List<String>>>
updateFunc =

       new Function2<List<String>, Optional<List<String>>,

Optional<List<String>>>() {

        public Optional<List<String>> call(List<String> arg0,
Optional<List<String>> arg1) throws Exception {

        // TODO Auto-generated method stub

            if(arg1.toString()==null)

               return Optional.of(arg0);

            else {

               arg0.add(arg1.toString());

               return Optional.of(arg0);

            }

       }

};

I want the function to append the new list of string to the previous list and
return the new list. But I am not able to do so. I am getting the "
java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException" error.

Can anyone which help me out in getting the desired output?