Note that embedded Derby supports multiple, simultaneous connections, that
is, multiple simultaneous users. But a Derby database is owned by the
process which boots it. Only one process can boot a Derby database at a
given time. The creation of multiple SQL contexts must be spawning multiple
attempts to boot and own the database. If multiple different processes want
to access the same Derby database simultaneously, then the database should
be booted by the Derby network server. After that, the processes which want
to access the database simultaneously can use the Derby network client
driver, not the Derby embedded driver. For more information, see the Derby
Server and Administration Guide:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.12/adminguide/index.html

Thanks,
Rick Hillegas