Hi Meihua,

For categorical features, the ordinal issue can be solved by trying
all kind of different partitions 2^(q-1) -1 for q values into two
groups. However, it's computational expensive. In Hastie's book, in
9.2.4, the trees can be trained by sorting the residuals and being
learnt as if they are ordered. It can be proven that it will give the
optimal solution. I have a proof that this works for learning
regression trees through variance reduction.

I'm also interested in understanding how the L1 and L2 regularization
within the boosting works (and if it helps with overfitting more than
shrinkage).

Thanks.

Sincerely,

DB Tsai