From: Andy Davidson
Date: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 at 11:31 PM
To: "user @spark"
Subject: thought experiment: use spark ML to real time prediction

Lets say I have use spark ML to train a linear model. I know I can save and
load the model to disk. I am not sure how I can use the model in a real time
environment. For example I do not think I can return a “prediction” to the
client using spark streaming easily. Also for some applications the extra
latency created by the batch process might not be acceptable.

If I was not using spark I would re-implement the model I trained in my batch
environment in a lang like Java  and implement a rest service that uses the
model to create a prediction and return the prediction to the client. Many
models make predictions using linear algebra. Implementing predictions is
relatively easy if you have a good vectorized LA package. Is there a way to use
a model I trained using spark ML outside of spark?

As a motivating example, even if its possible to return data to the client
using spark streaming. I think the mini batch latency would not be acceptable
for a high frequency stock trading system.

Kind regards

Andy

P.s. The examples I have seen so far use spark streaming to “preprocess”
predictions. For example a recommender system might use what current users are
watching to calculate “trending recommendations”. These are stored on disk and
served up to users when the use the “movie guide”. If a recommendation was a
couple of min. old it would not effect the end users experience.