Any reason that Spark Cassandra connector won't work for you?
Yong

To: bryan.jeff...@gmail.com; user@spark.apache.org
From: bryan.jeff...@gmail.com
Subject: RE: Cassandra via SparkSQL/Hive JDBC
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 22:42:13 -0500

Anyone have thoughts or a similar use-case for SparkSQL / Cassandra?

Regards,

Bryan JeffreyFrom: Bryan Jeffrey
Sent: ‎11/‎4/‎2015 11:16 AM
To: user
Subject: Cassandra via SparkSQL/Hive JDBC

Hello.
I have been working to add SparkSQL HDFS support to our application.  We're
able to process streaming data, append to a persistent Hive table, and have
that table available via JDBC/ODBC.  Now we're looking to access data in
Cassandra via SparkSQL.
In reading a number of previous posts, it appears that the way to do this is to
instantiate a Spark Context, read the data into an RDD using the Cassandra
Spark Connector, convert the data to a DF and register it as a temporary table.
 The data will then be accessible via SparkSQL - although I assume that you
would need to refresh the table on a periodic basis.
Is there a more straightforward way to do this?  Is it possible to register the
Cassandra table with Hive so that the SparkSQL thrift server instance can just
read data directly?
Regards,
Bryan Jeffrey