It appears start-slave.sh works on a running cluster.  I'm surprised I
can't find more info on this. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough?

Using AWS and spot instances is incredibly more efficient, which begs for
the need of dynamically adding more nodes while the cluster is up, yet
everything I've found so far seems to indicate it isn't supported yet.

But yet here I am with 1.5 and it at least appears to be working. Am I
missing something?