There's a 1:1 relationship between Kafka partitions and Spark partitions.
Have you read
https://github.com/koeninger/kafka-exactly-once/blob/master/blogpost.md

A direct stream job will use up to spark.executor.cores number of cores.
If you have fewer partitions than cores, there probably won't be enough
tasks for all cores to be used at once.  If you have more partitions, a
given core will probably execute multiple tasks in a given batch.