From: Michael Armbrust [mailto:mich...@databricks.com]
Sent: Saturday, December 05, 2015 4:11 PM
To: Shuai Zheng
Cc: Jitesh chandra Mishra; user
Subject: Re: Broadcasting a parquet file using spark and python

I believe we started supporting broadcast outer joins in Spark 1.5.  Which
version are you using?

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 2:49 PM, Shuai Zheng <szheng.c...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

Sorry to re-open this thread.

I have a similar issue, one big parquet file left outer join quite a few
smaller parquet files. But the running is extremely slow and even OOM sometimes
(with 300M , I have two questions here:

1, If I use outer join, will Spark SQL auto use broadcast hashjoin?

2, If not, in the latest documents:
http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/sql-programming-guide.html

spark.sql.autoBroadcastJoinThreshold

10485760 (10 MB)

Configures the maximum size in bytes for a table that will be broadcast to all
worker nodes when performing a join. By setting this value to -1 broadcasting
can be disabled. Note that currently statistics are only supported for Hive
Metastore tables where the command ANALYZE TABLE <tableName> COMPUTE STATISTICS
noscan has been run.

How can I do this (run command analyze table) in Java? I know I can code it by
myself (create a broadcast val and implement lookup by myself), but it will
make code super ugly.

I hope we can have either API or hint to enforce the hashjoin (instead of this
suspicious autoBroadcastJoinThreshold parameter). Do we have any ticket or
roadmap for this feature?

Regards,

Shuai