It can be used, and is used in user code, but it isn't always as
straightforward as you might think.  This is mostly because a Job often
isn't a Job -- or rather it is more than one Job.  There are several RDD
transformations that aren't lazy, so they end up launching "hidden" Jobs
that you may not anticipate and may expect to be canceled (but won't be) by
a cancelJob() called on a later action on that transformed RDD.  It is also
possible for a single DataFrame or Spark SQL query to result in more than
one running Job.  The upshot of all of this is that getting cancelJob() to
work as most users would expect all the time is non-trivial, and most of
the time using a jobGroup is a better way to capture what may be more than
one Job that the user is thinking of as a single Job.