(point of post is to see if anyone has ideas about errors at end of post)

In addition, the real way to test if it's working is to force serialization:

In Java:

Create array of all your classes:
// for kyro serializer it wants to register all classes that need to be
serialized
Class[] kryoClassArray = new Class[]{DropResult.class, DropEvaluation.class,
PrintHetSharing.class};

in the builder for your SparkConf (or in conf/spark-defaults.sh)
                .set("spark.serializer",
"org.apache.spark.serializer.KryoSerializer")
                //require registration of all classes with Kyro
                .set("spark.kryo.registrationRequired", "true")
                // don't forget to register ALL classes or will get error
                .registerKryoClasses(kryoClassArray);

Then you will start to get neat errors like the one I am working on:

Exception in thread "main" org.apache.spark.SparkException: Job aborted due
to stage failure: Failed to serialize task 0, not attempting to retry it.
Exception during serialization: java.io.IOException:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Class is not registered:
scala.collection.mutable.WrappedArray$ofRef
Note: To register this class use:
kryo.register(scala.collection.mutable.WrappedArray$ofRef.class);

I did try adding scala.collection.mutable.WrappedArray to the Class array up
top but no luck. Thanks