Hi Raghvendra and Spark users,

I also have trouble activating my stand by master when my first master is
shutdown (via a ./sbin/stop-master.sh or via a instance shut down) and just
want to share with you my thoughts.

To answer your question Raghvendra, in *spark-env.sh*, if 2 IPs are set
for SPARK_MASTER_IP(SPARK_MASTER_IP='W.X.Y.Z,A.B.C.D'), the standalone
cluster cannot be launched.

So I only use only one IP there, as the Spark context can know other
masters with a other way, as written in the Standalone Zookeeper HA
<http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/spark-standalone.html#standby-masters-with-zookeeper>
doc, "you might start your SparkContext pointing to
spark://host1:port1,host2:port2"

In my opinion, we should not have to set a SPARK_MASTER_IP as this is
stored in ZooKeeper :

you can launch multiple Masters in your cluster connected to the same
> ZooKeeper instance. One will be elected “leader” and the others will remain
> in standby mode.

When starting up, an application or Worker needs to be able to find and
> register with the current lead Master. Once it successfully registers,
> though, it is “in the system” (i.e., stored in ZooKeeper).

 -
http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/spark-standalone.html#standby-masters-with-zookeeper

As I understand it, after a ./sbin/stop-master.sh on both master, a master
will be elected, and the other will be stand by.
To launch the workers, we can use ./sbin/start-slave.sh
spark://MASTER_ELECTED_IP:7077
I don't think if we can use the ./sbin/start-all.sh that use the salve file
to launch workers and masters as we cannot set 2 master IPs inside
spark-env.sh

My SPARK_DAEMON_JAVA_OPTS content :

SPARK_DAEMON_JAVA_OPTS='-Dspark.deploy.recoveryMode="ZOOKEEPER"
> -Dspark.deploy.zookeeper.url="ZOOKEEPER_IP:2181"
> -Dspark.deploy.zookeeper.dir="/spark"'

A good thing to check if everything went OK is the folder /spark on the
ZooKeeper server. I could not find it on my server.

Thanks for reading,

Paul