Hi All,

I have a machine with the following configuration:
32 GB RAM
500 GB HDD
8 CPUs

Following are the parameters i'm starting my Spark context with:

val conf = new
SparkConf().setAppName("MasterApp").setMaster("local[1]").set("spark.executor.memory",
"20g")

I'm reading a 4.3 GB file and counting the no. of characters in it.

When i run my program with:
local[1], the count is returned in 1.8 minutes
local[8], the count is returned in 4.2 minutes

Both the times, Spark uses Storage Memory of 3.7 GB.

Why would my program take more time with local[8]?