Hi all,

I recently sent to the dev mailing list about this contribution, but I
thought it might be useful to post it here, since I have seen a lot of
people asking about OS-level metrics of Spark. This is the result of the
work we have been doing recently in IBM Research around Spark.
Essentially, we have extended Spark metrics system to utilize Hyperic Sigar
library to capture OS-level metrics and modified the Web UI to visualize
those metrics per application.
The above functionalities can be configured in the metrics.properties and
spark-defaults.conf files.
We have recorded a small demo that shows those capabilities which you can
find here : https://ibm.app.box.com/s/vyaedlyb444a4zna1215c7puhxliqxdg
There is a blog post which gives more details on the functionality here:
www.spark.tc/sparkoscope-enabling-spark-optimization-through-cross-stack-monitoring-and-visualization-2/
and also there is a public repo where anyone can try it:
https://github.com/ibm-research-ireland/sparkoscope

Hope someone finds it useful!

Thanks a lot!
Yiannis