I think the tricky part here is that the join condition is encoded in the
second data frame and not a direct value.

Assuming the second data frame (the tags) is small enough, you can collect it
(read it into memory) and then construct a "when" expression chain for each of
the possible tags , then all you need to do is select on data frame 1 (df1) (or
use "withColumn" to add the column) and provide the constructed "when" chain as
the new column value.
From a very high level, looking at your example data below, you would construct
the following expression from df2 (off course, in the real case, you would
construct the expression programmatically from the collected df2 data and not
hardcoded).

val e = when(expr("year = 1997 and model = 'E350'"), "1997_cars").
           when(expr("year = 2015 and model = 'Volt'"), "2015_cars").
           otherwise("unknown")

then you just need to add the new column to your input as:
df1.withColumn("tag", e)

I caveat this by saying that I have not tried the above (especially using
"expr" to evaluate partial sql expressions, but should work according to doc).
Sometimes, half the battle is just finding the right API.  the
"when"/"otherwise" is documented under the "Column" class and
"withColumn"/"collect" are documented under "DataFrame".

--
Ali