although it is not a bad idea to write data out partitioned, and then use a
merge join when reading it back in, this currently isn't even easily doable
with rdds because when you read an rdd from disk the partitioning info is
lost. re-introducing a partitioner at that point causes a shuffle defeating
the purpose.