My job get this exception very easily even when I set large value of
spark.driver.maxResultSize. After checking the spark code, I found
spark.driver.maxResultSize is also used in Executor side to decide whether
DirectTaskResult/InDirectTaskResult sent. This doesn't make sense to me.
Using  spark.driver.maxResultSize / taskNum might be more proper. Because
if  spark.driver.maxResultSize is 1g and we have 10 tasks each has 200m
output. Then even the output of each task is less than
 spark.driver.maxResultSize so DirectTaskResult will be sent to driver, but
the total result size is 2g which will cause exception in driver side.

16/02/26 10:10:49 INFO DAGScheduler: Job 4 failed: treeAggregate at
LogisticRegression.scala:283, took 33.796379 s

Exception in thread "main" org.apache.spark.SparkException: Job aborted due
to stage failure: Total size of serialized results of 1 tasks (1085.0 MB)
is bigger than spark.driver.maxResultSize (1024.0 MB)

--
Best Regards

Jeff Zhang