We’re veering off from the original question of this thread, but to
clarify, my comment earlier was this:

So in short, DataFrames are the “new RDD”—i.e. the new base structure you
should be using in your Spark programs wherever possible.

RDDs are not going away, and clearly in your case DataFrames are not that
helpful, so sure, continue to use RDDs. There’s nothing wrong with that.
No-one is saying you *must* use DataFrames, and Spark will continue to
offer its RDD API.

However, my original comment to Jules still stands: If you can, use
DataFrames. In most cases they will offer you a better development
experience and better performance across languages, and future Spark
optimizations will mostly be enabled by the structure that DataFrames
provide.

DataFrames are the “new RDD” in the sense that they are the new foundation
for much of the new work that has been done in recent versions and that is
coming in Spark 2.0 and beyond.

Many people work with semi-structured data and have a relatively easy path
to DataFrames, as I explained in my previous email. If, however, you’re
working with data that has very little structure, like in Darren’s case,
then yes, DataFrames are probably not going to help that much. Stick with
RDDs and you’ll be fine.
​