From: Jan Štěrba<mailto:i...@jansterba.com>
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2016 8:27 AM
To: User<mailto:user@spark.apache.org>
Subject: Spark on YARN memory consumption

Hello,

I am exprimenting with tuning an on demand spark-cluster on top of our
cloudera hadoop. I am running Cloudera 5.5.2 with Spark 1.5 right now
and I am running spark in yarn-client mode.

Right now my main experimentation is about spark.executor.memory
property and I have noticed a strange behaviour.

When I set spark.executor.memory=512M several things happen:
- per each executor a container with 1GB memory is requested and
assigned from YARN
- in Spark UI I can see that each executor has 256M memory

So what I am seeing is that spark requests 2x the memory but the
executor has only 1/4 of what has been requested. Why is that?

Thanks.

--
Jan Sterba
https://twitter.com/honzasterba | http://flickr.com/honzasterba |