Thanks Steve,

For NN it all depends how fast you want a start-up. 1GB of NameNode
memory accommodates around 42T so if you are talking about 100GB of NN
memory then SSD may make sense to speed up the start-up. Raid 10 is the
best one that one can get  assuming all internal disks.

In general it is also suggested that fsimage are copied across to NFS
mount directory between primary and fail-over in case of an issue.

Cheers

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

LinkedIn *

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com