As Mich has already noticed, Spark defaults to NL join if there are more
than one condition. Oracle is probably doing cost-based optimizations in
this scenario. You can call it a bug but in my opinion it is an area where
Spark is still evolving.

>> Hemant has mentioned the nested loop time will be very little.
I had mentioned that NL time will *vary *little with more number of
conditions.  What I meant was that instead of 3 conditions if you would
have 15 conditions, the NL loop would still take 13-15 mins while the hash
join would take more than that.

Hemant

Hemant Bhanawat <https://www.linkedin.com/in/hemant-bhanawat-92a3811>
www.snappydata.io

On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 3:08 PM, ashokkumar rajendran <
ashokkumar.rajend...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> test, dummy, Some(d)
>>    +- ConvertToUnsafe
>>       +- HiveTableScan [id#219,random_string#223], MetastoreRelation
>> test, dummy2, Some(d1)
>>
>> When the join is done using OR on other predicates I see it starts doing
>> NLJ
>>
>> scala> sql("select d.id, d1.id from dummy d, dummy2 d1 where
>> d.random_string = d1.random_string OR d.small_vc =
>> d1.small_vc").explain(true)
>>
>> == Physical Plan ==
>> Project [id#241,id#248]
>> +- B*roadcastNestedLoopJoin *BuildRight, Inner, Some(((random_string#245
>> = random_string#252) || (small_vc#246 = small_vc#253)))
>>    :- HiveTableScan [small_vc#246,id#241,random_string#245],
>> MetastoreRelation test, dummy, Some(d)
>>    +- HiveTableScan [id#248,random_string#252,small_vc#253],
>> MetastoreRelation test, dummy2, Some(d1)
>>
>> in contrast the same identical tables in Oracle use Hash Join with OR
>> which is expected
>>
>> scratch...@mydb.mich.LOCAL> select d.id, d1.id from dummy d, dummy2 d1
>> where d.random_string = d1.random_string OR d.small_vc = d1.small_vc;
>>
>> Execution Plan
>> Plan hash value: 4163534687
>>
>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> | Id  | Operation           | Name   | Rows  | Bytes |TempSpc| Cost
>> (%CPU)| Time     |
>>
>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> |   0 | SELECT STATEMENT    |        | 63207 |  8332K|       |  1280K
>> (1)| 04:16:05 |
>> |   1 |  CONCATENATION      |        |       |       |       |
>> |          |
>> |*  2 |  * HASH JOIN         *|        | 60183 |  7934K|  4632K|   640K
>> (1)| 02:08:03 |
>> |   3 |    TABLE ACCESS FULL| DUMMY2 | 60000 |  3925K|       |   157
>> (1)| 00:00:02 |
>> |   4 |    TABLE ACCESS FULL| DUMMY  |   100M|  6484M|       |   261K
>> (1)| 00:52:13 |
>> |*  5 |   *HASH JOIN         *|        |  3024 |   398K|  4632K|   640K
>> (1)| 02:08:03 |
>> |   6 |    TABLE ACCESS FULL| DUMMY2 | 60000 |  3925K|       |   157
>> (1)| 00:00:02 |
>> |   7 |    TABLE ACCESS FULL| DUMMY  |   100M|  6484M|       |   261K
>> (1)| 00:52:13 |
>>
>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> So this looks like a bug!
>>

>> Dr Mich Talebzadeh
>>

>> LinkedIn *
>> https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=AAEAAAAWh2gBxianrbJd6zP6AcPCCdOABUrV8Pw
>>

>> http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com
>>

>> On 1 April 2016 at 04:53, ashokkumar rajendran <
>> ashokkumar.rajend...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the reply everyone.
>>>
>>> Let me provide more detail on the dataset as well.
>>> 1. The big table (A) contains more than 3 billion records in parquet
>>> format, which is few TBs.
>>> 2. The second table (B) is only of 60K rows which is less than 10MB.
>>> 3. The column on which I perform JOIN is mostly on the String datatype
>>> columns.