There are methods for converting the dataframe based random forest models
to the old RDD based models and vice versa. Perhaps using these will help
given that the old models can be saved and loaded?

In order to use them however you will need to write code in the
org.apache.spark.ml package.

I've not actually tried doing this myself but it looks as if it might work.

Regards,

James