Perhaps this is a silly question on my part….

Why do you want to start up HDFS on a single node?

You only mention one windows machine in your description of your cluster.
If this is a learning  experience, why not run Hadoop in a VM (MapR and I think
the other vendors make linux images that can run in a VM)

HTH

-Mike