Hi,

I'm running spark 1.6.1 on a single machine, initially a small one (8 cores,
16GB ram) using "--master local[*]" to spark-submit and I'm trying to see
scaling with increasing cores, unsuccessfully.
Initially I'm setting SPARK_EXECUTOR_INSTANCES=1, and increasing cores for
each executor.  The way I'm setting cores per executor is either with
"SPARK_EXECUTOR_CORES=1" (up to 4) and I also tried with " --conf
"spark.executor.cores=1 spark.executor.memory=9g".
I'm repartitioning the RDD of the large dataset into 4/8/10 partitions for
different runs.

Am I setting executors/cores correctly for running Spark 1.6
locally/Standalone mode ?
The logs show the same overall  timings for execution of the key stages
(within a stage I see the number of tasks match the data partitioning value)
whether I'm setting for 1, 4 or 8 cores per executor.  And the process table
looks like the requested cores aren't being used.

I know eg. "--num.executors=X" is only an argument to Yarn.  I can't find
specific instructions in one place for settings these params
(executors/cores) on Spark running on one machine.

An example of my full spark-submit command is:

SPARK_EXECUTOR_INSTANCES=1 SPARK_EXECUTOR_CORES=4 spark-submit --master
local[*] --conf "spark.executor.cores=4 spark.executor.memory=9g" --class
asap.examples.mllib.TfIdfExample
/home/ubuntu/spark-1.6.1-bin-hadoop2.6/asap_ml/target/scala-2.10/ml-operators_2.10-1.0.jar

Duplicated settings here but it shows the different ways I've been setting
the parameters.

Thanks
Karen