No, I wouldn't expect it to, once the stream is defined (at least for
the direct stream integration for kafka 0.8), the topicpartitions are
fixed.

My answer to any question about "but what if checkpoints don't let me
do this" is always going to be "well, don't rely on checkpoints."

If you want dynamic topicpartitions,